Monday, January 28, 2013

I had the opportunity yesterday to speak in front of my congregation during our church services.  Usually speakers from the congregation are selected by those who preside over that local congregation.  This gives the members an opportunity to listen to different people every week and of course gives the speaker an opportunity to share faith promoting experiences.  Well I had the opportunity to speak on prayer.  The scripture that I'd like to share today is found in the Book of Mormon in Alma 37:37.  It reads,

"Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

          There are many scriptures that discuss the role of prayer.  I have gained a strong testimony of prayer as I've had experiences in my life that have reaffirmed to me that God does live, I'm His child, and He listens to and answers all of my prayers.  I know that if I have a problem He will help if I seek Him.  There have been many times where I have been overly stressed or worried about certain issues.  As I have prayed with my Father in Heaven about those concerns, often I have had experiences where I would be filled with peace;  calm reassurance that all would be well.  School has been very important to me and I feel strongly about getting as much education as possible.  I remember for my last semester of my undergrad I need to take 2 lab classes to fulfill the requirements for my degree.  Both were full and there were not a lot of openings to begin with.  This caused me some stress because I really did not want to put off my degree another semester.  I remember on several occasions pleading with my Heavenly Father to help me get into those labs.  While waiting I also did my part as God expects us to do what we can.  I wrote to the professors about getting on a waiting list and checked the availability several times a day.  I remember getting more uneasy and worried as the semester approached.  One class opened up, so I was happy about that, but another one was being more stubborn.  I remember as the final days of the break neared an opening for that class opened up.  I was so grateful for that.  While some may view that as a coincidence, I know that was an answer to my prayers.
          I also can be hard on myself.  I think we are our own worst critics.  I remember on quite a few occasions being weighed down because of my personal struggles and weaknesses.  I'd often entertain the idea because of my flaws and shortcomings, I was unworthy of God's love.  While it may seem harder to pray when we are feeling down, I know this is when we need to the most.  Another scripture in the Book of Mormon found in 2 Nephi 32:8-9 says;

"8 And now, my beloved brethren, I perceive that ye ponder still in your hearts; and it grieveth me that I must speak concerning this thing.  For if ye would hearken unto the Spirit which teacheth a man to pray, ye would know that ye must pray; for the evil spirit teacheth not a man to pray, but teacheth him that he must not pray. 
9 But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul." 

I have had several occasions feelings of peace and overwhelming love come upon me.  This has been my Heavenly Father letting me know that He loves me perfectly.  While not perfect I know that I can talk with my Heavenly Father about anything anytime.  I can ask for blessings I feel I need.  I can ask for guidance in decisions I need to make.  I can ask for safety for loved ones.  I can also give Him thanks for all He has given me.  I can ask for opportunities to help me help others.  I know that if we ask for opportunities to help others out, our Heavenly Father will put people in our paths that we can make a difference to.  God blesses His children often through the service provided by others.  When we can the time to forgive others, search out for those in need, or provide friendship to the lonely, I know that will be us helping God answer the prayers of His other children.  I know that God is our Father.  He is a real being.  He literally lives.  He has not sent us here to be left alone.  He will offer assistance more than we can know.  Often we are only held back before we do not ask.  I know we can seek answers to important questions in our lives.  If we are humble and are willing to follow the guidance given, Heavenly Father will not let us go down a wrong path.  I am grateful for the power of prayer.  Through prayer miracles can and are accomplished.  I hope I may be better at praying more sincerely and more often.  I have found that starting and ending the day with prayer have led to better peace and happiness in my life.  I know we can keep a prayer in our hearts all day.  I say things things in the name of Heavenly Father's only begotten son, Jesus Christ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment